Last November the Lord impressed it upon my heart to put all of these to paper, though it is not "new" for me, it was "new" to write it down; and parts have been added in constantly as are more scriptures added in as well. It was inspired by Jonathan Edwards' resolutions; you can see them here. Instead of aiming for such lofty heights that I could not attain, I wanted to start simple; I wished to write short pertinent statements. It is plainly straightforward and but a short list to remind me each waking day how I wish to live. It is strategically placed where I see it multiple times a day. Again, it is a simple reminder for me personally (though it is incumbent upon me to note: though it was penned within my own words, I do not think the concepts only relate to my life; it really is for any Christian; I just happen to have a very elementary way of saying it compared to Edwards!)
Without further ado:
1. Resolved: To not be lazy or fall into idleness with my hands; but rather to use my time wisely to glorify the Lord in all things.
2. Resolved: To shield my eyes, ears, mind, and heart from the filth of this world.
3. Resolved: To implore the heart of God instead of judging and seeing people through my own (fleshly) eyes; to treat others as Christ would despite their sin, but in love, serve them in the manner of Christ's example.
4. Resolved: To be pure in my dress, speech, mind, heart, and conduct.
5. Resolved: To study, meditate, and learn God’s word daily.
6. Resolved: To be in constant communication with the Holy Spirit; both in intentional and continual prayer throughout the day.
7. Resolved: To live with every fiber of my being as long as I live upon this earth.
8. Resolved: To never do anything in half-measures.
9. Resolved: To strive, by God’s grace, to my utmost to be brought into a deeper more solidified relationship with my Savior than the previous week.
10. Resolved: To humbly inquire each night the state of my own sinfulness before God; so that I may repent and return with more fullness to Him.
11. Resolved: To begin each day relying upon the Lord.
12. Resolved: To live above reproach.
13. Resolved: To truly live where God’s love is better than life.
14. Resolved: In all things to know my Lord and Savior and make Him known; to live for Him alone.
15. Resolved: To know, study, learn, protect, proclaim, and live God’s truth-no matter what the cost.
16. Resolved: To daily seek my God with all my heart.
17. Resolved: To trust my God implicitly in every area of my life.
1. 1 Corinthians 15:58; Proverbs 6:6/ 15:19
2. Psalm 119:37; Philippians 4:8; Titus 2:12; Colossians 3:2; 2 Timothy 2:19/ 2:16
3. Philippians 2:3-8
4. Colossians 4:6; 1 Timothy 1:5/ 2:9-10/ 4:12; Ephesians 4:29; 2 Timothy 4:22
5. Psalm 1:2/ 119:104
6. Galatians 5:16-26; Philippians 4:4; 1 Thessalonians 5:17
7. John 10:10
8. 1 Corinthians 15:58/ 10:31
9. 2 Corinthians 13:5; Psalm 42:1-2, 7
10. Psalm 61/ 139:23-24
11. Psalm 118:24
12. Colossians 1:22
13. Psalm 63/ 73:25
14. 1 Timothy 4:7; Titus 2:14; Psalm 119:46; Psalm 73:28
15. Psalm 119:44-48/ 73:28; 1 Timothy 6:20/ 3:16-4:8; 1 Corinthians 10:13
16. Psalm 119:10; Jeremiah 29:13
17. Psalm 33:21/ 56:3; 2 Corinthians 1:9; Jeremiah 48:7; 2 Chronicles 14:11